Tuesday, March 3, 2015

More Dominica



I was feeling a bit under pressure when I published the last bit about Dominica earlier!  It was time to go back on the ship, but I had not looked at all the photos taken!  




The tour with Roland was fantastic, so don’t get me wrong when I make fun of the fact that we observed the famous waterfalls from afar or, when turning a corner, there was  a random man standing there with a boa constrictor. This was not a surprise, Roland had told us exactly where and when he would be. My question is , Why?  We didn’t even stop for photos or to give him a dollar,which is almost standard procedure on these islands.  What was the purpose of him standing there? And how did that poor boa handle this as well?

But looking at the boa helped me remember what Roland told us were island delicacies - Armadillo, Opossum, Iguana and something else I can’t remember! 














Once Roland dropped us off, we spent time at Mimi’s Bar with the free wifi and others from the ship.  I needed the ladies’ room and asked.  The lady in charge gave the key to the bathroom to what appeared to be her approximately 5 year old daughter, who more or less took me on a wild goose chase, until another adult took pity on me and showed me where to go!  
I am not convinced this little girl should have been given that responsibility!  She ended up at our table later, playing on my iPad with the games Corbyn loaded. A sweet little thing who was really ok and when I told her it was time to go, she turned my iPad off! 



I have heard some friends and family say the level of poverty in these islands is so upsetting that they just can’t bear to go on cruises and see this.  But my argument to that is, if we don’t come to these places, what state would they then be in?  It can be upsetting and sad to see their quality of life, but even typing that phrase, I believe they have a terrific quality of life, it is just different than what we are used to.



“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” 
― Augustine of Hippo

No comments:

Post a Comment