Saturday, March 14, 2015

The lovely island of Curacao!

Alan and I were very concerned about reliving our fantastic experience of visiting Curacao.  So far this trip has surpassed all expectation and been so much better than we ever expected.  We just knew our return to Curacao could not live up to what we anticipated.  But is almost did!  Our only disappointment was the lack of numbers of Frigate birds or overloaded little fruit boats going between the larger fruit boats that come up from Venezuela.  So that is really not bad at all!





Alan and I went into Willemstadt early in order to take photos before the shops opened and too many people were about.











I am glad we did this, but we also decided to take a tour of the island - one of those taxies like I have described.   This was just ok. I don't honestly think there is all that much to see on Curacao outside of the beautiful city of Willemstadt.




Our driver, Urvin, took us through rich neighbourhoods, middle class neighbourhoods, even the government housing areas.  Of course, having a British audience, I don't think he would realise government housing is not a concept they are familiar with.  I would assume they would associate this with council housing and they are completely different.




Included in the tour was a visit to the Curacao factory or distillery.  It didn't really fell like a distillery but I imagine that was what it really was. Alan and I had decided we really did need to taste Curacao since we had been here before and this was the perfect opportunity!  We got to taste all 5 flavours!  (there are also 5 colours of Curacao, but we were told these all actually taste the same!)  My favourite, of course, was the chocolate one!



Then a quick stop at Lions Dive Beach.  Not a real stop since it cost to enter the beach, cost to rent a subbed, cost to go into the pool there.  Not a real beach at all, too clinical and man made.  But we just met a couple who were there and saw flamingos and a stork! So I believe, if we ever return, we will just spend half the day in Willemstadt and half at the beach!




I love the colours of Willemstadt and our driver told us this was a result of one governor who told the islanders that all their white painted houses hurt his eyes.  They were "required" to paint their houses in different colours. Then they learned he was an owner of a paint company!   (probably not true but really funny.)







Willemstadt itself is a gorgeous city and the floating fish and fruit market at the harbour could entertain anyone for at least half the day.  The other half, in theory, could be spent shopping or visiting interesting restaurants or bars.   The jewellery stores alone could entertain me all day!   ;-)












There is also the Queen Emma Floating Bridge to get to the main street.  This bridge actually moves and I tried to get photos to show this, but not sure it really gives the right angle. And I was too intent on shopping to do a better job of showing this.  When the bridge is moved for larger ships coming in, there are 2 free ferries to get people from each side.








Curacao, Bonaire and Aruba are all associated with the Netherlands and this is very apparent in the architecture and some of the restaurants.  We have never been to Aruba, but the other two are very different from other ports on the itinerary.  I would assume Aruba is the same.  

The noticeable difference for me this time is that Willemstadt seems much more Hispanic.  All the little boats loaded with fruit or fish arrive on a daily basis from Venezuela and have done for many years I guess.  But there seems to be more emphasis on Spanish food now  in restaurants   And I heard so much more Spanish being spoken than I had the first time we were here. 

Alan and I split up for a while so he could photograph and I could shop, brave man leaving me alone in Willemstadt!  But I managed not to spend all my money.  On the way back to the ship I spotted an Iguana, he could have been about 3 feet long, just hanging out on a tree.  Unfortunately, his tail overlapped a police do not cross tape!  So the photo is not as good as I would have liked.  Great surprise to see him in any setting though!

Curacao has an amazing free wifi system all over the town but earlier in the day we had to use the "facilities" at McDonald's and treated ourselves to a good coffee.  The coffee onboard is not good so this was wonderful!  (There is a Costa on board, but I just was not interested in going there.)  We were there long enough to notice the amazing cakes on offer at the McCafe and returned there after the tour of the island.  I must confess, even with all the lovely food on offer 24/7, we had to order Key Lime Pie and New York Cheesecake at McDonalds!  And to add to my personal shame, here is the photo showing the corner of Alan's cheesecake missing the corner since I could not wait to taste it before remembering to take a photo!


Alan and I agreed to meet at the port or the bar near the ship.  So I ended up sitting with the crew members as they touched base with their friends and family all over the world.  After a while, I wondered where Alan was and headed to the bar, where he had just ordered Polar beers for us!  Nice guy!

Sharing his catch with the audience watching him!



Then another treat just before boarding!  One of the passengers has fished at every port we have been to, although I never saw him or heard of his hobby until today.  He was right on front of the ship and had just caught a nice size fish.  He then proceeded to take a picture of it, raise it so all the people watching could see and then let it go.  What a great hobby for
him!







No fish were harmed in the pursuit of this hobby.
Maybe traumatised, but not harmed!

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."







No comments:

Post a Comment