Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tortola - Just so you know!

Alan and I had been to Tortola before but could remember absolutely nothing about it!  The last time we were here, I was already blogging so I looked it up and the main thing I noted then was how nice the beach was!  However, I can't even find that to link it just now, sorry!

We decided to take a taxi around the island, a 2 hour tour!  This was led by Kittie and her "taxi" held at least 30 passengers!  "Just so you know" seemed to be Kittie's catch phrase!

Alan's photo of Kittie




This was a very impressive vehicle. with the cab where she drove separate from what felt more like a bus behind it!  And the engines on these must be very powerful because the hills are amazingly steep!  It was a very scenic tour, with a huge mural showcasing the history of Tortola, but there wasn't really much I can write about.  It was well worth it, but just not alot of detail.    









Alan's photo of the man at Cane Garden Bay
doing the coconut drinks!






We did have a 45 minute stop at Cane Garden Beach, which was the very beach that had so impressed me the visit before.  It is still a beautiful beach, but with my tonsillitis, I did not dare get wet.  So I hung around with Alan and tried to get photos of birds like he does (the feathered variety, not the bikini clad ones! )  Unfortunately, we spent too much time doing this and missed the chance of 4 shots of rum for  $1 at the local distillery!





I remember this coconut drink procedure the last time we were on this beach, but I still did not have a chance to try it. The machete skills exhibited on all these islands are impressive, to say the least!

Cane Garden Bay is still very beautiful and I am glad I got to return.  Maybe next time I will be well enough to swim again!  Very frustrating to be just not well enough to risk getting wet and chilled.


Lonely Pelican at Cane Garden Bay




Although Tortola is a beautiful island, and very close to Richard Branson's Necker Island, it does not offer all that much except the beach.  If we ever come back, I will opt to just spend our time totally on the beach.





I was happy to see the Caribe Spice shop!  I had forgotten about this shop and it is a treasure trove of spices.  However, the last time I was here I didn't have to avoid cumin.   But I was able to walk through the shop with Celia who explained which ones contained cumin and which ones didn't. She also told me she has an allergy to almonds, where her throat also swells up.  When she realises she has accidentally eaten anything with almonds, she quickly mixes up cayenne pepper with water and drinks it!  I hope I remember this if I am ever in the position of realising I ate cumin.  Much better than taking a strong antihistamine and having to sleep!








"Visual surprise is natural in the Caribbean; it comes with the landscape, and faced with its beauty, the sigh of History dissolves."
(Derek Walcott)






No comments:

Post a Comment